Tuesday 12 July 2016

Dimming - The Ashley Way

I had an idea for a post and asked the very helpful +Ashley Hansgen for some input, the information he provided is worthy of it's own post - so here it is, a step by step guide to luming the Ashley way - Thankee !


Of the dim work I've done, I would say I'm most pleased with the dim version of +Robert Pope's "Graham Chronofighter" . I think this design best reflects my style and the techniques I use for dimming. 







I'm a big fan of gradient radial shading on lumes because it looks more natural and adds some character to the overall look. 




To achieve this, I need to incorporate a number of elements, markers, numbers, etc. into a single layer or image so I can add the shading.

I do this by first duplicating the face and renaming it "for parts".

Then I create a 512 diameter black circle to use as a background.

I can then move all the elements to be shaded above the background via the display order, making sure I change the color of all elements to white (ffffff) .

Now I'm ready to export/share the "black & white" image to my device.










Once saved, I import the image to the Eraser app (a free Android app that allows you to remove backgrounds and/or portions of images).

By using the Auto-Removal feature, I can select on the black background and automatically remove the entire background from the image, leaving behind only the white markers, text, etc to be lumed. 
















Finally, I import this new image into my design and apply the gradient radial shading.

I change the "Start" color to black (000000) and the "End" to the desired lume color, adjusting the scale to the desired gradient and brightness.

The same technique is used on the hands and rotating star.

This seems like a lot of trouble to go through to add the effect, but once you do it a few times, it's quick and easy.



For more of Ashley's dim work and original designs too take a look at his profile here 

If you like what you see or think some one you know might like it, please share it

No comments:

Post a Comment